Bodrum Underwater Archeology Museum

It is located within the Bodrum Castle and is considered one of the most important underwater archaeological museums of the world. It is one of the most popular places to visit and see in Bodrum. There are 14 exhibition halls in Bodrum Underwater Archeology Museum and it has the richest collection of Eastern Mediterranean amphoras in the world. Yassıada, Şeytan Deresi and Serçe Harbor wrecks are also exhibited in the Bodrum Underwater Archeology Museum.

The world's oldest shipwreck remains on display are also worth seeing. This wreck, which is exhibited in the Serçe Harbor Camlik Dolphin Hall, is itself a sinking craft in 1025. 3 tons of broken and sturdy glass was removed from this craft. In addition, the world's largest Islamic Glass Collection is also exhibited here.

Çarşı Mh., 48400 Bodrum / Mugla

Amphora Exhibition
When entering the inner citadel, amphora exhibition is seen under the porch in the body walls on the left side. The biggest collection of Bodrum Underwater Archeology Museum is amphoral.

Amphora is a two-handed, pointed-bottomed test. It is made up of Greek Amphi (two sides) and phoreus (bearer) words. Amphoras have been used for the transport and storage of wine, olive oil, dry food items in the antiquity trade.

Did you know these?
In antiquity Anatolia was celebrated with vintage, festivals and songs. The wines were prepared and kept in the sack in large clusters. Amphoras were used for the aging of the wines, these amphorae were closed with plugs to protect their quality.

Cary Princess Hall
The axle tower at the end of the cross vault is the "Queen Ada" hall. The sarcophagi and finds found during a basic excavation in Bodrum are exhibited.

At the Karya Princess Island Exhibition Hall, a gypsum copy of the head of the island, taken from the Priene to the British Museum, can be seen with the video film, genealogy-chronology, and decorations and furniture according to the period gathering hall example. This exhibit is paid a private entrance fee.

English Tower
The English tower is in the northeastern corner of the castle. The bases of the wolves lie on the main rock. There are two entrances in the west, three storeys in the west, outside the city walls, and in the inner city in the north. The western entrance of the wing opens in the middle. This section is still used as the glass laboratory of the museum.

East Roman West
The beautiful building in the Gothic style, seen on the right hand side of Avlu, is the chapel of the knights. This chapel is primarily finished at the beginning of the construction of the castle (1402-1437). The chapel was repaired by Spanish knights from 1519 to 1520. The plan and the ornaments show the Spanish activity. The front gate of the chapel is quite ornate. The entrance is provided in the middle with two small doors. Just above the doors next to it are windows with arches. Two windows on top of the middle door and herbal adornments are both good examples of Gothic style, both in terms of construction technique and features. At the top of the hill there is acroter ornamentation.

Turkish Bath Exhibition
The Turkish bath in Bodrum Castle was restored and opened in 1991. There is a small fountain in the bath court. The lemon trees around the fountain are an important element of the traditional hammam garden. The tombs collected from Avluda, Bodrum and its surroundings, the 19th century toilets and pottery used from antiquity to daily use are exhibited.

Cam Ashley Hall
The ship, which sank by rock clashing in the small bay named Serçe Harbor near Marmaris, is known as Camlik due to the finds. It lies at 32 meters. Dr. The wreck, dug by George Bass, has been robustly captured. The end of the sorting of the glass bullions carried by the gentleman has come out freely between the Islamic-Byzantine states and the goods of a trader. While the scrap glass was put on board to be melted again, new production glasses were being sold in the ports. Weights of the early Islamic period, countless finds such as swords and checkers, as well as checkers played by the ship's crew come from this shipwreck. The wreck is dated to 1025 years, with a sharper detection, through the diversity of the finds.

German Tower
The German tower is shaped like an English tower, reflecting the medieval knight experience. Anchors are displayed in front of the German tower in the upper courtyard. The German Tower, used as a meeting room and dining room, has a double-headed eagle figure. The German tower is thought to have been used as a hospital at the same time.

Coin and Jewelery Hall
The vaulted structure used as the Coin and Jewelery Hall is the lower floor of the Italian tower. It is a small room with a rectangular plan. The coats used in the smallest coats (tetratemorion), the largest cochlea (tetradrachmi) region were displayed in weight order with the front and back faces visible. In another window, BC. VI. century BC II. tetradrahminin uptake power up to one hundredth